[wp-hackers] Checking getmyuid results in problems?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Nov 15 12:58:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Berry Langerak <berry at ayavo.nl> wrote:
> Now, I wouldn't mind the getmyuid to fileowner check much if that was
> well-documented and consistent, but it seems that it's not. You see,
> wp-config.php was written after the installation-wizard without performing
> the check, and I can edit the plugins using the embedded editor, without the
> check being performed. It's just the updating of plugins that doesn't seem
> to work. That's the reason I assumed I had an issue with the plugin files
> not being writable, while they actually were writable.

On re-reading your email, I see that you're confusing two different things.

Editing is just that: editing. It changes the file, it doesn't replace it.

During an upgrade, the old version is deleted, the new version is
unpacked, and the files are moved into place. The files are *created*
by the apache process, and so will inherit the ownership/group of the
process. This is undesirable, and why the FTP process was made, so
that WP can create the files via FTP with the credentials of the user,
and thus the files will be owned by that user.

-Otto