[wp-hackers] WordPress self install on Windows?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Nov 13 17:18:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Brian Layman <bulk at thecodecave.com> wrote:

> There are contributors who run on IIS as tickets come through and get
> fixed, but it is a vast minority. Perhaps someone else can give you a better
> number...

Only a few regular core contributors develop on Windows (ask me to name one,
though, and I'll likely draw a blank). Only one committer does, though two
of us also used to. As far as I know, everyone uses/used Apache as their
primary web server, typically XAMPP. Of course, some of us also test on IIS.

WordPress supports IIS7 out of the box, including URL rewriting / pretty
continues to runs well on IIS7.x. They even have this site,
http://wordpress.visitmix.com/, which has on it an SQL Server database layer
if you're so inclined. And whenever we have an IIS issue we can safely lean
on ruslany, who handles FastCGI and PHP support for Microsoft's IIS team and
is a core contributor.

So, yes, WordPress will work on IIS7, quite well in fact.

Nacin