[wp-hackers] Non-existent path or document defaults to parent theme 404 template

Mikel mikel at mahunneysfarm.com
Sat Nov 13 03:33:31 UTC 2010

Problem: Child theme with no 404 template defaults to parent theme 404 on non-existent path or document (as expected).  The parent 404 was fine for my purpose so I did not make a copy into the child theme folder.   My specific issue was with php include() files being pulled from the parent folder (due to relative file reference) instead of the edited versions I created in the child folder.

I see that get_template_part works around this issue by searching STYLESHEETPATH and then TEMPLATEPATH and seems like a better way to include?  Or is include a bad idea with child themes?

Mikel