[wp-hackers] wp_get_attachment_url() checking for attachment post_type, really necessary?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Nov 12 13:58:22 UTC 2010

A "post" should never have an attached file like that. Attachments get
their own post for them, with the post_type of "attachment" and other
metadata about the attachment stored in the post_meta. They're
connected to the original post via the post_parent.

Similarly, I can't think of a good reason for a custom post type to
have an attached file. It should have attachment posts hooked to it
instead. Without the attachment posts, there's no place to store the
specific meta information about the file.

-Otto