[wp-hackers] Best SEO plugin?

David Law wp-hackers at google-adsense-templates.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 00:19:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:18:03 +0000, you wrote:

>On 7 Nov 2010, at 17:34, scribu wrote:

>>> http://www.google-adsense-templates.co.uk/wp-content/themes/talian-adsense-clickbank-seo-05/readme/08-nofollow-problems.txt
>>>

>>> You haven't provided any evidence for your claims to support your request
>>> for changes.
>>>
>>> Where can we see documentation which shows that PR is reduced due to the
>>> nofollow on these links?
>>>

>> It's mentioned in the ticket:
>>
>> http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/
>>

>Thanks
>
>It doesn't sound so OMG important as the poster suggested as I expected.
>
>Cheers

Here's an easy to follow example.

I have a WordPress page set to show 50 comment threads with comment
threading turned on of course.

Each full page of comments will have at least 50 Reply to Comments
links, that's a minimum 50 nofollow links on highly commented pages.

Every link on a page shares the PR/link benefit that's flowing through
that page, doesn't matter if it's an internal link or an external
link, they all gain a fair share of the link benefit. If overall a
page has 100 links from it, each gains 1/100th of the link benefit
flowing through that page.

This example page has another 50 links from it, combination of
internal and external links (category links, tag links, home page
links, blogroll etc...), so in total we have 100 links, 50 are
nofollow and 50 are not nofollow.

Since nofollow deletes PR/link benefit equal to one link share rather
than protects it as this attribute was initially intended to do, this
page looses half it's link benefit that could go to other pages the
page links to for no gain.

If you don't think loosing 50% of a pages link benefit for no gain
isn't an OMG issue, you don't understand the importance of link
benefit to SEO. It's the most important SEO factor that takes most
effort to achieve.

Like I said before, I have a popular jokes site with almost 18,000
user comments, this is on a site with about 1,500 posts. If I allowed
18,000+ nofollow links on a site I might as well dofollow the links
and allow link spammers free reign on the comments, at least that way
the link benefit actually benefits someone rather than deleting it!
That site is breaking through the 15,000 unique visitors a day mark
and it's home page is only PR3 (I waste no link benefit, it all works
on my sites).

The Reply to Comment links is the extreme of this problem and fixing
it is a big move forward. The nofollow links of authors links is less
damaging, but it is damaging all the same and if it can be fixed in
WordPress it should be (again doesn't hurt my sites, I've solved the
problem, it's WordPress users who are loosing Google rankings).

If 20% of your commenters add an author URL or link from the body of
comments and your blog has 500 comments, that's 100 nofollow links
that's deleting valuable link benefit.

There's monetary value to dofollow links, depending on how you sell
links it can be $10 a link per month for a PR0 page on a site with a
decent home page PR. The wasted link benefit of those 100 nofollow
links could be $1,000 a month, if they are on pages with PR they are
worth more.

Some WordPress sites will be deleting enough link benefit to run
successful online eccomerce stores!

BTW This is one of the reasons why the so called SEO plugins aren't
SEO plugins, they have options to add more nofollow links!!!

David
--
Monetize your WordPress blog with Search Engine Optimized templates
including AdSense ads http://www.google-adsense-templates.co.uk/