[wp-hackers] Plugin, custom links, and wp_links_meta

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Nov 1 09:06:27 UTC 2010

Hi Arief:

As Peter says, don't use the wp_links table, it will probably be deprecated in a future version of WordPress.  Instead seriously consider creating a custom post type for your links.  It may seem like overkill at first but over time you are likely to appreciate all the functionality you'll get "for free" with a custom post type.

Here's a link to a presentation I gave about Custom Post Types to the Atlanta WordPress developer's meetup group recently.  While the examples are not directly related to a list of links, there are lots of relevant links to other articles about custom post types which should be helpful.

 http://bit.ly/atlwp-cpt-oct-2010

Hope this helps.

-Mike