[wp-hackers] Category/Tag/Taxonomy Meta Data

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:22:12 UTC 2010

I notice that there is an action hook that allows you to add extra form
fields to the Edit Category/Tag/Tax page, {taxonomy}_edit_form_fields, which
is VERY cool. But this action hook seems pretty useless unless the new form
field you insert actually allows you to save some extra data.

For instance, let's say that I wanted to add another textarea that allowed a
user to insert a "short" description of the category to be used somewhere in
the theme. I can figure out how to insert the form field, but I can't figure
out why the data won't actually save. I imagine there's some sort of
sanitization going on that limits what can and can't be saved, but is there
any way to bypass that?

Bottom line ... is there any way to add extra fields of data, without
resorting to storing this data in the options table? We have this sort of
thing in place for posts (postmeta), comments (commentmeta), and users
(usermeta), but it would be cool if it could be done with taxonomies too.

Thanks!