[wp-hackers] Proposal: StackOverflow for WordPress

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu May 13 22:57:17 UTC 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Michael E. Hancock wrote:

> I'd say it's planting season.  Seems there's enough +1's from this list to get that growing.  If you don't want to use the Forums, then ignore it.  If you want your own, then start plowing.
>
> May your harvest be plentiful.

Agreed.

There are 25 cumulative up-votes on the proposal in 4 days which puts us in the top 15 of 121 StackExchange proposals where all other 14 top proposals were proposed April 23rd or sooner, i.e. they all had 18 days head start. That tells me there will likely be enough votes for StackExchange to be interested in launching a WordPress Answers Exchange just using the effort of the people who support the idea:

http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged?tagnames=site-proposal&sort=votes&pagesize=15

If SO plans to launch a WordPress Answers Exchange I can envision one of 3 likely outcomes:

1.) The StackExchange site will become very successful and will do a great job of supporting the WordPress community.

2.) The prospect of a StackExchange site will create a competitive incentive for those who feel strongly about not having an SE for WordPress that priority will go to improving the wordpress.org sites and thus they will become improved enough that a StackExchange site won't get much traction and these efforts will do a great job of supporting the WordPress community.

3.) A little of both and both sites will do a great job of supporting the WordPress community.

Looking at all three of those prospectives I can't see a negative outcome in the bunch. :-)

-Mike