[wp-hackers] Twitter API and Authentication

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue May 11 14:41:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Lew Ayotte - Full Throttle
Development <lew at fullthrottledevelopment.com> wrote:
> Currently my application allows all authors to store their twitter
> credentials in wordpress. Whenever a post is published it can tweet to all
> the users (or just a single user) -- depending on how the admin has the
> plugin setup. Requiring oAuth essentially kills my plugin. It will require
> each user to create their own app in twitter. It may be easy for you and I
> to do this, but I get tons of support requests from people who just didn't
> type their user name in properly.

Whoa.. Back up a second. I think you have the wrong idea.

Define "users" in your context. If you mean "multiple users on a
single website", then you are mistaken.

Every website only needs ONE Twitter Application for it. The
application is basically tied to a domain. Any user can then give that
application permissions to publish as them.

So your admin will create the app for his website, then the users of
that instance will authorize the application to act on their behalf.

-Otto