[wp-hackers] register_uninstall_hook VS uninstall.php

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun May 9 02:44:42 UTC 2010

I don't think anyone knows specifics of what you need. What you describe
seems to be that your plugin is full of WTFs and nightmare-ish, but I'm
most likely wrong. You probably have an awesome system that eases the
development of plugins a great deal. This one thing is hindering you
since it does not fit nicely in to the way you developed the plugin and
wish to implement something that is external and don't really know how
to quickly and easily do so without refactoring either your code or the
WordPress code. I judge, it is one of my flaws and it is compounded by
being wrong a lot.

The truth is, I have not seen your code, nor do I quite frankly care to
see your code. Dion might or Andrew or anyone else that might have
replied. If it would help you, then I'm sure someone in the community
would step up and do so. However, speaking only for myself, I do not
believe a patch is warranted for your specific use case.

Honestly, probably the best "fix" would be to remove the requirement
that the callback is added and add just the file to the database
instead. It would then be up to the plugin to set the hooks that are run
for the uninstall. This would hopefully, solve your problem and would
solve scribu problem as well. I'm not quite sure why it is even there in
the first place other than redundancy to ensure that the uninstall hook
is called and to correct any other cases where the hooks would not be
set when the file is included, if the developer was expecting hooks to
be called. If that was the case, then it was just being lazy and not
wanting to test any use cases that wouldn't work without the redundancy.
It is something that could be removed once full testing is done.

Well, I do remember that with development, WordPress shouldn't hinder
the methodology of the plugin, even if, technically, the plugin
developer is wrong. The above solution wouldn't be difficult and my
estimate would be that it would take 10 minutes. However, testing it
would take about an hour or so and I'm not up for that. Have fun!

Just FYI, classes can still be used, the method would just be static. I
have stated this before, but I might not have been clear. Also, there is
nothing wrong with using functions. The uninstall process is best
separated from the rest of the plugin code, which is why most system
programs have an separate application that uninstalls the main program.

Jacob Santos