[wp-hackers] GSoC 2010: Visual CSS Editor

Eric Mann eric at eamann.com
Tue Mar 30 05:24:25 UTC 2010

While I agree with the general "I don't want users editing the theme"
sentiment, I think this is a fantastic idea!  It makes customization of
commonly available stock themes more accessible to users ... I spend more
time helping people fix sites they've broken in attempts to personalize them
than I spend actually developing new themes.

Like the Elastic Theme editor, I see this as having a very graphical UI.
The last thing we want to do is overwhelm users with code.  One feature I'd
recommend would be some kind of standards validation.  We all know that not
every browser works perfectly with ALL CSS3 declarations ... so maybe
pointing out that text-shadow will fail in IE and offering an alternative
(or maybe just not offering attributes that fail cross-browser) would work
... forcing a valid output would be a bonus, too.

~Eric