[wp-hackers] GSoC 2010

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 15:50:41 UTC 2010

Although the plugin wouldn't have a huge number of installs, it could
still be an extremely useful addition to the wordpress community, even
if it just powered the WordCamp systems.

Obviously make it compatible for single installs, but think of the
power of making it multi-site aware... 3.0 allows you to run multiple
blogs off one install, with different subdomains.

Imagine installing this on WordCamp.org, having each subdomain as a
new blog and this plugin powering the conference functionality. Being
able to have speakers assigned to conferences across the network..?

On Monday, March 29, 2010, Justin Shreve <justin.shreve at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's an interesting idea. You should check into what is already
> being done first. For example check out the various conference sites at
> http://wordcamp.org - and see what they are using and how the different
> sites are setup.
>
> I would also look at http://wccpco.eventstart.com/ and the various features
> there and http://www.eventbrite.com/ (which I think powers some of the
> WordCamps).
>
> In terms of your proposal:
>
> - user can create one or more speaker profile(s)
> - user can create one ore more session(s) and link this with the speaker
> profile
>
> I think you need to elaborate a bit more on some of the features you can
> bring. These two items for example can be done pretty easily with custom
> pots types or just linking a "user" (speaker) to a "post" (event/session).
>
> Do you have a full proposal you can paste here?
>
> - Justin
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Ralph Bergmann <ralph at dasralph.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.03.10 00:23, schrieb scribu:
>> > I think GSoc projects should focus on things that the majority of WP
>> > users would find useful.
>>
>> Okay it isn't the cool plugin which everybody needs but not all need
>> buddypress or bbpress. I would like to develop an plugin to manage /
>> organise conferences, see
>> http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2010-March/031151.html
>>
>> > Anyway, getting feedback on this mailing list isn't a requirement for
>> > your proposal to be accepted.
>>
>> But when nobody is interested in my proposal, no one accept me for GSoC :(
>>

>> Ralph
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ralph Bergmann
>>

>> www              http://www.dasralph.de/
>> mail             ralph at dasralph.de
>> skype            dasralph
>>
>> xing             http://www.xing.com/profile/Ralph_Bergmann3
>> linkedin         http://www.linkedin.com/in/ralphbergmann
>> facebook         http://www.facebook.com/dasralph
>>
>> pgp key id       30C4ECD8
>> pgp fingerprint  C6E4 3435 7CC8 5008 54EC 1C86 4176 7F75 30C4 ECD8

-- Alex  (Hempsworth)