[wp-hackers] User roles - GSOC proposal

prasath nadarajah n.prasath.002 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:48:49 UTC 2010

@24-7
I also think scaling roles hierarchically I not a good idea.
(Currently joomla 1.6 ACL scales roles hierarchically and I also
experience difficulties with that)
I,m trying to implement a friendly UI to set permissions for roles in one view
(like drupal permission settings).
I installed your plugin, but it only shows userdata when you are
logged in as admin.
Thank for your suggestions.

@andrew
>> roles per category is a non-starter
I wonder why it I not desirable to have category level roles within a
single blog.
It has been requested by many in the forum and mailing lists.
It is also mentioned in the ideas list.

>>from 3.1 storing capabilities in user meta is to be removed and and replaced with roles(unserialized).
If I,m not wrong the implemetation would be an additional
table(wp_roles) to store information about roles which will include
userId's belonging to that role.
It I possible to have category level permissions by having a table which maps
 userId , roleId, categroyId(termId).
Querying for users will also be easy by filtering
categoryId → roleId → userId.
I,m from a joomla backround and joomla does access control like this.

in addition to multiple roles in multiple blog this would be an
additional feature.

Correct me if I,m wrong
thanks for the feedback.

Prasath.N