[wp-hackers] Idea for a GSoC project - Image annotation plugin

Stephen Tigner stephen.tigner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 06:35:27 UTC 2010

Yeah, that looks like the perfect place to store the annotation metadata.
As for tagging using annotations, that could be possible, but I think
that would only be feasible to allow the post author to add such
annotations, since (I believe) readers/comnenters shouldn't be able to
change the tags on a post. I think that could be feasible, but would
likely require a different approach from the comments-based one I'm
taking.

After doing some research, poking at the database, and experimenting a
bit, it seems that all values in the comment_type are treated as
trackbacks/pingbacks by default. (Normal comments have that field
blank.) I'm going to keep digging, but does anyone know offhand if
this is something that can be handled on the backend (i.e. in a
plugin), or if its theme-dependent?

Also, I've been thinking about how to approach identifying which
annotations go with which image. One approach would be to base it on
the image id ("wp-image-X") that shows up in the class attribute for
each image that is uploaded to WP's internal "gallery" and then
embedded in a post. However, this only works if you are using that
built-in functionality. If, for instance, you are serving images from
another (sub)domain, and just embedding them with image tags, they
won't have those identifiers. So, the other idea I had was to hash the
image's URL and use that as an identifier. Why the full URL and not
just the filename? To avoid possible collisions when image files (that
can be completely different) have the same name, but different
locations. I was wondering about your thoughts on that approach. n.n

Sorry for the long email. ^^; Thanks in advance for your feedback!
-- Stephen