[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Installation System Enhancements

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Sat Mar 20 23:32:30 UTC 2010

În data de Sb, 20-03-2010 la 18:48 -0400, Justin Shreve a scris:
> scrbu:
>
> I see it as part of the overall setup of the blog which is why I thought it
> would be a nice feature to include. It would be right after the admin
> account is created etc but allows them to setup some additional features
> before they finish the install/setup.
>
> Mike:
>
> I thought about this too. A way to bundle in some plugins/themes that
> automatically get installed. I think it may be a good feature to include as
> part of the project.
>
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:
>
> > What would be nice would be a way to install a selected theme+predefined
> > set of plugins, for example for vertical market solutions like a real estate
> > agent site or a restaurant site or something else.
> >
> > What I'm proposing is not to give the user a list to select from but
> > instead give the people who provide those vertical solutions a way to
> > provide their users with a simple installer that would first install both
> > WordPress and then their package of theme+plugins without additional burden
> > on the user.
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > On Mar 20, 2010, at 6:26 PM, scribu wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see the point in having the option to install plugins and themes
> > at
> > > the installation stage. It would require WP to already be set up, thus
> > the
> > > installation process would already be over.
> > >
> > > What might be useful is to add links to the theme and plugin admin
> > screens
> > > on the final screen of the install process.

I would bundle this idea with the migration idea.
Get the php file that does the magic, if ok, go and make a choice:
* clean install
* import from a remote host

Keep it simple. I'm not sure guys who need (lets say) ecommerce package
will just go and use this script for that. Also, an end user just wants
his blog, if you can make that easy as jumping, it's awesome.

So far, imho it's the best proposal if you bundle it with the migration
process. I didn't like the ideas with migration using FTP, imho,
creating an api (json powered let's say, or extend the current xmlrpc)
that will serve all the get_bloginfo() and the rest of the data should
be the only one considered. The plugins can be installed from the
plugins directory after that, and the media, can be moved as it was done
so far.

Anyway, I like the direction you're taken.

--
()  Campania Panglicii în ASCII
/\  http://stas.nerd.ro/ascii/