[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal - Move WordPress

Nitin Reddy nitin.reddy at danatev.com
Sat Mar 20 17:03:16 UTC 2010

Hi Manu!

As moving blog posts would take a long time to execute, I would think of building either something that runs on either the source or the destionation server and copies the files across through XML-RPC or direct database queries (I'd prefer XML-RPC as it would work across HTTP). A Java-based application would seem like a good idea since it would work on both Windows and Linux (and possible any other platforms that folks out there use).

If the application were to be a web-based PHP script, then I'd probably look for something that can migrate a few posts at a time to keep the script from timing out. On my hosting provider, a WordPress upgrade never finishes as the script timeout occurs midway.

Mine is just one thought among the many in the community, so you might want to hear a couple more before you start planning.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

--

"Follow the evidence wherever it leads" -Socrates
Email: kay-underscore-en-ai-tee-ai-en-underscore-arr-at-yahoo-dot-co-dot-in  (To spambot authors: you didn't anticipate that, did you?)