[wp-hackers] Custom field for enclosures

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Mar 19 13:21:36 UTC 2010

This all happens in the wp_transition_post_status function. Which
looks like this:

function wp_transition_post_status($new_status, $old_status, $post) {
	do_action('transition_post_status', $new_status, $old_status, $post);
	do_action("${old_status}_to_$new_status", $post);
	do_action("${new_status}_$post->post_type", $post->ID, $post);
}

That last one is what kicks off publish_post (status + post type).

Careful though, publish_post happens on any post update (if the post
is published). If you want to only catch the first publish, then you'd
want to hook to transition_post_status and compare the new and old
statuses that you get instead.

-Otto