[wp-hackers] Persistent connections

Andrew Gray andrew at graymerica.com
Thu Mar 18 14:01:43 UTC 2010

Does anyone have an opinion on using persistent DB connections (altering the DB.php to user mysql_pconnect instead)
Has anyone with a high volume site seen an improvement by making this change.

I am looking for a way to stop getting limited by the max number of connections from my host.
I get about 5 Million page views per month and have a lot of commentors (so the page level caching and DB caching is not alway appropriate.  My pages average 30 DB queries per page and under about .4 second query time)
I am hosted at the Rackspace Cloud and have a max connection setting of 500.

thanks for the advice,

Andrew