[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Tue Mar 9 20:26:00 UTC 2010

On 3/8/10 10:41 PM, "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:

On Mar 8, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Jeremy Clarke wrote:
> -100 for moving users into wp_posts, that's insane.

Other than making an unsupported assertion that moving users to posts is insane, you didn't address this proposal.  Is your -100 a kneejerk reaction (which we all do from time to time), or is it based on reasoned analysis?

Actually I'd prefer you to address the proposal of maintaining wp_users for users that are registered and having a record in wp_posts for each user and each commenter with an email address.  After reflection that is what makes most sense to me.

In Wordpress MU/MS 3.0, wp_users is a global table, wp_posts is a per blog table. You can not merge wp_users into posts without significant performance problems for MU. Not to mention breaking global permission systems.

-1000, Batshit insane.

To add my two cents to the conversation: I would propose two user tables, a wp_admin_users (Site Admin, Administrator, Editor, Author, etc) and a wp_users table for Subscribers, Commenters, etc. This would help segregate who is important easily (300 admin users versus 100,000 subscribers), API functions like get_admin_users(), etc.

--

Jason Potkanski
Tribune Technology