[wp-hackers] comments should be a plugin

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Mar 7 02:26:49 UTC 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Scott Kingsley Clark wrote:
> There's an example of a "won't happen" / "not necessary" attitude. I
> think many people are tied to the idea of core features being part of
> core WP. As WP grows up and out of the blogosphere, the community has
> to accept that people want WP to be an "a la carte" type of system.
> Yeah, you'll have plenty of discussions as to which features should be
> core and which should be plugins, but let's not stop the progress by
> flat out saying "no" to anything that deserves it's proper discussion.

+1.

FWIW, I think the idea of "put it into a plugin" is anathema to many people because the chances of many users ever finding and installing it are slim thus very few themers or other plugin developers will support it.  OTOH, if put into a canonical plugin that is included with the WordPress core download, those concerns diminish greatly. At least for me.

Said another way, IF it's infrastructure but only used by a segment of users then:

core=good,
plugin=bad, but
canonical plugin=bettter.

-Mike