[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

John O'Nolan john.wp at onolan.org
Sat Mar 6 13:20:08 UTC 2010

I'm sorry, didn't you just say:

"Seems weird behavior to me, but maybe I just don't understand the
rationale."

But now you're giving multiple examples in context for the rationale?
You either understand it or you don't. Don't call the issues that I
raise "weird" and then go on to raise the exact same issues yourself.

Also

"Let's say I ran a company in the past and left a lot of comments
using my gmail address but with my prior company's URL.  Now I've sold
that company and started a new one; should the links on the old posts
all change to be for my new URL?"

This is completely irrelevant. In this case you would be abusing the
Wordpress comment form, and if the wrong company name showed up at
some point then that's your own fault.
The form does not say "Hey what company do you work for?" or "Hey
please spam us cause you think it has SEO value" it says "Name" -
like, your name - not that hard to understand.

We should not be catering to the issues of spammers. Yes, I'm sure
there are a few legitimate cases where one might leave a company name
in the "name" field, but we both know that 99% of the time it's done
by spammers, not real people.

John