[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

William Canino william.canino at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 6 03:22:52 UTC 2010

Scribu,

Before anything else, the English word is "commentator".  "Commenter"
is not a word. :)

I think all you mean is adding an extra functionality to the existing
"Only registered users may comment" feature.  In other words, you want
to combine registration and commenting in one step, in one html form.

That's fine, simple enough and is plugin material.  Note that as a
consequence, because he or she is a newly-registered user, each new
commentator would receive the usual "new user" email.

Guys, let's not fret about the security implications here.  Any
blogger who wants this is already using the  "Only registered users
may comment" feature.

> Later, if somebody wants to comment with the same email, but with a
> different name, a new password will be sent to them via email, verifying
> that it's the same person.

No, this should produce an error, e.g., "email already exists. please
login instead".  If the commentator wants to change his name, he can
visit his Edit Profile screen.  As of today, as you know, this doesn't
change the name displayed in all his past comments.