[wp-hackers] Trackbacks as background process

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Mar 3 18:26:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Dan Gayle <dangayle at gmail.com> wrote:
> If what you're saying is true, why does the discussion options panel say this:
>
>      Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article (slows
> down posting.)

That text is old. It doesn't do that anymore. It uses wp-cron. Check
the code yourself if you like. Specifically, you'll want to look at
the _publish_post_hook() function in wp-admin/post.php.

Short version: When a post needs to get pings sent out for it, then it
gets a postmeta key of _pingme set on it.A wp-cron event is set using
wp_schedule_single_event to make pings happen.

When wp-cron runs that event, the do_all_pings() function gets called.
One of the things it does is to pull all the posts with _pingme
metadata set on them, and do the pings.

> Because, sure enough, it slows down posting and it brings our website
> to a crawl.

Can't help you there. But pings and trackbacks *are* sent
asynchronously using wp-cron. Have been for several versions now.

-Otto