[wp-hackers] Post Thumbnail & Twenty Ten theme

Will Anderson will at itsananderson.com
Wed Mar 3 17:48:00 UTC 2010

I tend to agree with Jeff. This is a a really innovative use of post
thumbnails. Beyond just being cool though, I think this features is
important because theme authors need to see that post thumbnails have a
broader use than is currently being utilized. Hopefully theme authors will
look at twentyten and go "Hey, I hadn't thought about that use of post
thumbnails. That makes me wonder, what if I used them *this* way?". IMO
default themes should spark innovation, not be the end all solution.

That being said, I think site owners should be able to choose whether to use
their post thumbnails in this way or not. Twenty Ten is still being
developed, so this could be in the works, but right now it lacks a good
options page (beyond the ones now being provided by core). There's also no
good filter that would allow child themes (or plugins) to cleanly change
this "option" (and other "options" throughout the theme). Again, this could
simply be because Twenty Ten isn't finished yet.