[wp-hackers] Alternate paging URLs

Dan Phiffer dan at phiffer.org
Wed Mar 3 16:39:57 UTC 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Dan Phiffer wrote:

> Implementation-wise the Twitter method of using a maximum ID value is simpler, but there isn't a guarantee of sequential post IDs in WP like there is in Twitter. My subselect method is anticipating the edge case where somebody updates the post date for ID 47 to appear between 1000 and 1001.

I just realized that using a Unix timestamp might address this edge case neatly. So here's my proposal. Replace "(start)" with your favorite localized token:

http://example.org/page/2/ => http://example.org/?(start)=1267631711 or http://example.org/(start)/1267631711/
http://example.org/tags/foo/page/10/ => http://example.org/?(start)=1267631711 or http://example.org/tags/foo/(start)/1267631711/
etc.

I'm implicitly suggesting a new permalink option for pagination. I don't really care if this happens in a plugin or in core, but I'm happy to make an attempt at implementing either. I suspect this would, at the very least, require new hooks be added into core. I realize there's a freeze on 3.0, this is more like a long-term thing.

Thanks,
-Dan