[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Justin Shreve justin.shreve at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:04:32 UTC 2010

First with the introduction of the whole custom post types we should be
thinking of 'content types' rather than 'post types'. (this is stated within
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9674) the table name of wp_posts and
the notion of posts I believe is for backwards compat.

This is the point:

The whole point of custom posts types was to reduce duplicate functionality
and code for certain things (mentioned within the trac ticket).

We have duplicate/similar code to have a links manager that could easily be
done (and more) if it was stored within a new post types. It makes it easier
to maintain and gives us "things for free".

I'm not saving to stick every bit of data in one table, but the things that
can save us work and makes sense when talking about 'content types' we
should.