[wp-hackers] support for custoim post types + custom feilds

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Jun 19 19:12:17 UTC 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Christopher Ross wrote:
>> I find that fascinating.  I would love to hear, for my benefit and the benefit of all on the list, what the specific concerns they have about using plugins and the rationale for not using them?  Maybe there are things we could improve/change that would resolve their concerns?
>>
>> Are their reasons tangible or intangible?  For example, do they dislike plugins:
>>

> Mike, in the case of our government clients it's a security concern. Their servers house sensitive data, the intranets we run using WP include politically sensitive, often classified  materials. You're correct any code in a plugin could also be in a theme but those themes are tested and approved prior to installation, whereas plugins code slip past during updates.  The threat doesn't even have to be large, a plugin that simply turning on the RSS or pingomatic feature on one of these sites would be enough to destroy careers.

Very helpful, thanks.

Does this mean that if there were a *core* (aka "canonical"[1]) plugin that, for example, offered an image management API, or an base event calendar plugin they would feel the same?

And what about plugins that offer business-specific custom post type functionality? For example, what about a plugin that adds a custom post type of "courts" or "police precincts" or "voting districts" or "representatives?"  Would they not use those? What if they were commercially supported?

Just trying to fully understand...

-Mike
[1] http://wordpress.org/development/2009/12/canonical-plugins/