[wp-hackers] WP 3.0 and beyond: Custom post types + custom fields

Mohammad Jangda batmoo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 20:59:47 UTC 2010

> Has any serious thought been given towards this aspect of WP? There are
> several plugins out there that attempt to tackle this in various ways. I'm
> curious as to if there's much interest in this making it into core, and if
> so, what steps have been made thus far.

I've been toying with the idea of a register_metadata_field function that
would allow you to register a custom field type much like you can custom
post types. I think it would be great to build out something like the
settings API where you can register settings, and setting sections, and
support standard input types (text, textarea, select, etc.) but also allow
custom rendering.

For anyone interested, I started writing out a method signature for the
function:

register_metadata_field('fieldName1', 'post-type', array(
    group = '' // To which meta_box the field should be added
    , field_type => 'text' // The type of field; possibly values: text,
checkbox, radio, select, image. 'custom' if display_callback is specified
    , label => '' // Label for the field
    , description => '' // Description of the field, displayed below the
input
    , value => array() // values for select, checkbox, radio buttons
    , display_callback => '' // function to render the field, if not using a
built-in type
    , save_callback => '' // function name for saving
    , client_validation_callback => '' // function name for client-side
validation
    , server_validation_callback => '' // function name for server-side
validation
    , show_in_columns => false // Add the field to the columns when viewing
all posts
    , add_to_edit => false // Add the field to the Edit page
    , add_to_quick_edit => false // Add the field to Quick edit
) );

It might be overkill for core (at this point, at least) but anyone want to
join forces to make this happen as a plugin?

Mo

--
Mohammad Jangda
www.digitalize.ca | @mjangda