[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 06:08:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Mark Jaquith <markjaquith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>> How about we
>> start an LTS tag or similar in trac now and see how it works?
>
> LTS generally defines "Long" in *years.* Ubuntu, for example. What is
> on the table is something substantially shorter than most definitions
> of "long," so we'd do well to avoid referring to it as "LTS" release.
> I'd be happy to backport security patches one version (so, if 3.0
> branch is current stable, backport to 2.9 branch), if there are no
> objections from the other leads. If we are not offering these releases
> via the one-click upgrader, there's not much that needs to be done.
> Commit to the branch. Tag a new version. Push it out. It'll be
> available via SVN and via the release archive only. We can soft launch
> it (that is, not announce it), and see how it goes. If it is working
> out, and isn't too much of a burden, then we can consider formally
> committing to it. As noted, we've been doing some backporting already.
> The only thing we're really missing is doing a version bump and a
> package.

But, if some issues are important enough to justify a release,
shouldn’t we also tell people about it?

That is, either (1) announce the update to installations that are on
the same branch, or (2) have a mailing list in place that annnounces
all releases, major and minor.

Cheers!

Demetris
http://op111.net/76 ‹ See what is new in WordPress 3.0!