[wp-hackers] Meetups

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jun 18 03:37:50 UTC 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:39 PM, Beau Lebens wrote:
>>> What is the process for promoting the idea of a wordpress meetup? I
>>> could put in a plan for a European meetup, but I'm not sure what the
>>> uptake would be?
>
> On Jun 17, 2010, at 8:50 PM, Alexander Hempton-Smith wrote:

> A lot of people use sites like meetup.com to organize smaller/more
> frequent meetups in their local areas (me, here in San Francisco
> included).

A big thumbs up for Meetup.com.

I've organized a Web Entrepreneur meetup for 3+ years using Meetup.com.  It's great because you can let Meetup's website worry about marketing your group and RSVP logistics and you can instead just worry about venues and producing stellar events.

I also recently blogged a "best practices" list for meetup organizers:

http://mikeschinkel.com/blog/25-best-practices-for-meetup-organizers/

HTH

-Mike