[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 21:41:47 UTC 2010

On 17 Jun 2010, at 22:34, Dan Gayle wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Peter Westwood
> <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>wrote:
>

>> We tried this in the past with 2.0
>>

> It would be interesting to see the difference in the overall user base from
> 2.0 to 2.9/3.0. I would venture to guess that there are significantly far
> more commercial entities using a current version of WP for their main web
> properties than <= 2.0, and those commercial entities would be more likely
> to either sponsor or support a LTS branch.
>
> Just looking at the features released with 2.0, I can see why it would have
> been a pain to back port:
>
> http://wordpress.org/development/2005/12/wp2/
>
> But taking a second look at that, all of those features that were added were
> drastic, and are essentially foundational now. I don't foresee much being
> added to WP that would be that drastic of a change.
>
> If I were more of a developer, I'd be on the front lines helping out. As it
> is, I'm just a theme/plugin developer and user. But I'd be happy to work as
> an evangelizer, if there's a need for one :)

Its not what was added in 2.0 but what we did post 2.0 that was hard to backport.

http://wordpress.org/development/2009/07/the-wordpress-2-0-x-legacy-branch-is-deprecated/

We added a lot of security enhancements post 2.0 and some of these were quite deep changes

Realistically the best way to help this happen is to keep an eye on security related changes which happen and work on backporting them.

This is the best way to make a LTS version viable.

Patches Welcome :-)

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5