[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Dan Gayle dangayle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:12:18 UTC 2010

In Matt's release notes, he mentioned "We’re going to take a release cycle
off to focus on all of the things around WordPress."

One of those things should be long term support for the huge amount of
commercial web properties now using WP that are caught in the never-ending
cycle of release-update.

I once again wish that Wordpress would adopt a two-pronged release strategy.
Yes, go ahead and release the latest, greatest bleeding edge version as your
main release. But please, PLEASE, start a long-term-support (LTS) branch.
Backport all the security fixes and keep something stable for at least the
previous release version.

As Wordpress gets bigger, more and more companies are using it. Companies
that are using it for more than their personal blog. Companies that are
using it as a CMS, as their primary website, or for countless other cases.
Unlike if your personal blog goes down, having one of these sites go down
can create havoc for an entire company's bottom line.

Having to continually update a website because of security enhancements
isn't a big deal. Updating a website because of some cool new feature, a
feature that can introduce new bugs and security flaws, shouldn't be
mandatory.

I'm sorry for bringing this up again, and I'm sorry if you feel it's off
topic, but you are the only developers who can make it happen.