[wp-hackers] Search Results based on Geodata

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Jun 6 03:50:04 UTC 2010

On Jun 5, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Michael D Adams wrote:
>> Using Sphinx is likely out of scope for this project,
>
> What project?  Defining a geo schema for core WordPress and/or
> building a basic core API/core plugin?

Sorry for being unclear; my own project that is for me serendipitously related to this topic.  Time and budget are too small.

> Yes - you need to install Sphinx somewhere.  It's not a solution
> available to everyone, but it's a good one when you can do it.
> It's pretty straightforward:
> http://sphinxsearch.com/docs/current.html#installation

Easy eh?  I'm a much better programmer than I am a system admin so it looks hard to me!

But we'll definitely keep it in mind for phase 2 when complaints come in that it is "too slow."  :-) (after the database grows significant, it is starting relatively small, i.e. < 500 records.)

>> Do you have specific experience with it?
>
> Sphinx powers the WordPress.org Plugins Directory search.
>
> We're experimenting with it a bit on some things for WordPress.com.

Would sure be nice I could find a detailed article about Spinx implementation for WordPress.  (hint, hint. :)

Seriously though, thanks.

-Mike