[wp-hackers] Geodata storage

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Sat Jun 5 21:37:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> Are you saying people would be encoding the geo from where they submitted
> the post?  I must be missing something, I'm not sure how that is really all
> that useful?

I'm more interested in the specific use-case of wanting to say where the
post is *about* (i.e. on a post about gaza the pin is on gaza on the map),
but that's not really important. If the geo storage is standardized it could
be used to associate a location with a post for any reason.

> Me too. I hugely value standards.  I do think that code makes standards
> more pervasive though, hence why something in core or at least a canonical
> plugin that supports this would be helpful.

Like mdawaffe said in the first post the geolocation plugin from
wordpress.com already uses this format. It's use-case is very narrow
(logging where you were when you publish a post) but it serves as a starting
point for plugins that would want to do other things with the data.

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org