[wp-hackers] Option Pages

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:33:44 UTC 2010

How often are you expecting your users to change the settings? Most
settings are changed once or twice and rarely looked at again. I think
the drag, collapse and hide functionality of meta boxes is completely
unnecessary for a settings page that will be accessed this rarely.

If, however, the settings page acts as some kind of control panel more
like the WordPress dashboard (eg. it provides information in addition
to settings) then meta boxes would be ok, I suppose, but you're
probably still overestimating the likelihood that your users are going
to want to customise the display of the screen.

Personally, if you've already written the settings screen with meta
boxes, then I wouldn't bother wasting too much time rewriting it to
remove them, but personally, I build all my settings screens to look
and act just like native WordPress settings screens for consistency.

John