[wp-hackers] Improving Meta Box Handling

Michael Pretty mpretty at voceconnect.com
Tue Jun 1 01:53:32 UTC 2010

Now that the first release candidate for WP 3.0 is out, I wanted to get
the ball rolling on a ticket I submitted for 3.1,
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12450.  The idea behind the ticket
is to improve and simplify the api for meta boxes.  Some of the ideas I
had for improvement are:

-a registration like that of taxonomies and post types so that plugins
can optionally apply those to any post types they add.
-an update callback registration, to simplify the checks a developer has
to make against revision, AJAX, AUTOSAVE, etc.
-transition built in meta boxes (excerpt, comments, publish, etc) to use
new registration.
-add handling to optionally check against capability before displaying
meta box based on registration.

What are some features you would like to include or exclude from this
addition?

Michael Pretty
@prettyboymp