[wp-hackers] WPMU Category ID Updating

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jan 29 14:22:41 UTC 2010

Removing the site_category features does not break any functionality because
there is nothing in WordPress mu that actually uses that behavior.

All this code is hear as a stub for a feature that has no interface
surfaced.  It is there to allow additional functionality that is used by
sites like Wordpress.com to allow list articles from any specific category
in all blogs in on a front page.  There are other ways to implement that
feature if you want it. This one as mentioned brings along some extra
baggage. We've a couple hundred blogs running without it, across several
sites and several mu installs. We've not had any problems related to the
removal of those features.

I know the core developers are discussing what to do with that functionality
in WordPress 3.0.

Hope that helps,
-Brian