[wp-hackers] Capabilities as a taxonomy

Moya, Eddie emoya at tribune.com
Fri Jan 22 20:12:36 UTC 2010

That makes some sense. I think if wordpress moved toward having more
granulized capabilities (e.g. Different caps for widgets/themes, or further
still, different caps for items/areas within a page), which it really should
do, then a system where you treat caps like a taxonomy starts to make a lot
of sense.

However with regard to assigning multiple roles to a single user, Im not
sure if I completely understand why that is necessary. It seems to me this
would create complications in a large system. It could potentially lead to
lots of unique sets of users with no single way to describe them.

For example, if you had a separate editors (e), writers (w), comment
moderators (cm), etc,.. You might have a bunch of users who are (e + w), and
then one or two who are w + cm and some who are e + w + cm.

While this doesn't seem all that problematic in the small scale, once you
consider that a large site using wpmu might have thousands of users, on
hundreds of blogs, with a good number of custom caps for plugins - it can be
a user permissions nightmare. You could have no simple way to address the
group of users who are (e + w), which is not so great if you want to make a
change to their editing capabilities but preserve those of someone who is
just and editor, or who is an (e + w + cm). Additionally, as much as we
don't like to think of roles as hierarchical, in some cases, they need to be
just that - and the lack of structure would make that all the more
difficult.

Seems that you could alternatively just create a new role for those
instances where you would want to combine the caps. I realize that at some
level its just good to give developers as much flexibility as possible so I
don't know that it should be removed since its already there, but from an
objective standpoint, if it weren't there, I wouldn't see the case for
putting it in.

I think the problem of performance is one that should be primarily addressed
in terms of restructuring the way roles and capabilities are implemented
though, not just chopping off functionality.

All that said, the taxonomic take on capabilities is still interesting.

--
Eddie Moya
Tribune Interactive