[wp-hackers] Capabilities as a taxonomy

Jordi Canals jordi at jcanals.cat
Fri Jan 22 17:48:18 UTC 2010

2010/1/22 Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com>

> Roles and capabilities are based on a per-blog basis, whether that is a
> single blog installation, a MU/MS installation, or when user tables are
> shared across more than one install.  MU also has that "site admin"
> pseudo-role ("super admin" 3.0+), and while there have been some
> discussions
> to possibly turn that into a per-site role, currently a user gets that role
> by being in a delimited list of usernames stored in a site option.

I'm maintaining the Capabilty Manager plugin:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/capsman/
I think to manage capabilities at user level makes it a bit confusing as it
makes a bit difficult to follow who has what capabilities. I recommend only
managing capabilities at role level (not in a user basis).

Maintaining this plugin, the most asked question and the feature most
requested from MU users had been to provide a way to disallow managing
capabilities at blog level and to force them at site level. An option to
allow that to site admins would be really a valuable setting.

--
Jordi Canals
http://alkivia.org - http://jcanals.cat