[wp-hackers] Licensing question

Jordi Canals jcanals at alkivia.net
Tue Jan 19 14:51:58 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Recently we had an interesting thread about GPL license. On that thread, I
seen that GPLv3 license is not compatible with the WordPress GPLv2 license.

My mistake was because I thought that WordPress was released under the
"GPLv2 or any later version" clause which is not. WordPress is released
under GPLv2 with no "any later version" clause.

What confused me was this codex page for plugin authors
http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin#License I understod that if
WordPress suggested to release plugins under the GPLv2 license with the "or
any later version" clause was because WordPress itself was released with
this "or any later version" clause. Developers clarified me that no,
WordPress is not compatible with GPLv3 and thus, GPLv3 should not be used
for themes or plugins.

Now, I want to change my themes and plugins license to have it fully
compatible with the GPLv2 license, but don't feel comfortable by using
GPLv2. So, my intention is to release new plugins and themes under the BSD
license (The current three clause) which is fully compatible with GPLv2 and
GPLv3 http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Do you think is any problem by using the BSD license on themes and plugins?
And, is it a good idea to use the BSD license? I always wanted to give other
developers as many freedom as possible to use anything I wrote.

Thanks again for your comments.
--
Jordi Canals
http://alkivia.org