[wp-hackers] A question about donation link

Ken Newman Ken at adcSTUDIO.com
Fri Jan 15 22:06:33 UTC 2010

This is still an interpretation. Another, and likely popular,
interpretation is that removal from a footer to a single separate page
conforms exactly to your quoted argument, in that it is still a very
"reasonable author attribution" and also "in the form of a web page".
Also, a link to an external site might be considered a slightly more
then a simple credit.

A credit on every page seems to be appropriate for a theme credit
(especially since graphics and css are not necessarily GPL), though I
*personally prefer* that the author make this to be optional.

Perhaps a Core Plugin with an API for a Colophon Page is in order? This
way plugin and theme authors could register credits and links and have
them displayed on a distinct page for that purpose. I would certainly
use it, and recommend it to clients.

Tangentially related: I did come across a plugin (I believe one that
integrated bbPress to WordPress) that inserted a credit and a link to
the footer of every page in the site. I found this to be quite
distasteful and quickly uninstalled it.