[wp-hackers] fixes for old versions

Guy wphax at nullamatix.com
Fri Jan 8 14:40:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Steve Taylor <steve at sltaylor.co.uk> wrote:
>> Past that, the concern is the unknown quantity of plugin
>> compatibility.
>
> [snip]
>
> So what I try to do is to stick to simple plugins to add specific
> individual pieces of functionality. Even if I need a lot of
> functionality, it's better to have 50 plugins that all work than one
> major do-everything plugin which breaks every time I upgrade. And if
> one of these "minor" plugins does break, then it's much less of a big
> deal for some small functionality to be missing from a site
> temporarily.
>
> That's just my opinion, of course.
>
> -Otto

Otto,

Makes perfect sense. Your opinion is shared by the Unix and GNU folks, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#McIlroy:_A_Quarter_Century_of_Unix

"Doug McIlroy, the inventor of Unix pipes and one of the founders of
the Unix tradition, summarized the philosophy as follows: This is the
Unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do it well.
Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text
streams, because that is a universal interface. This is usually
abridged to "Write programs that do one thing and do it well".

Guy
nullamatix.com