[wp-hackers] fixes for old versions

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Thu Jan 7 17:10:56 UTC 2010

I don't know if I would blame software for having to do the work for upgrades. This might be more of a business model issue than a problem with WordPress.

I didn't grab as much client work last year because my day job is pounding me into the pavement, but I did have to perform several client upgrades. At the end of the upgrade madness I started sending out maintenance contracts (along with those OMG BBQ! invoices) so those clients can pre-pay hourly work for things like security updates. I'm giving them the support they need. They may have to buy more time, but they at least know what they are in for.

So not only do they pre-pay for the work to keep things updated, but If they get a balance at the end of the year I can either do a refund or apply that to some feature enhancements. BUT chances are everything is going to go to bug-fixes and updates. A client will always find an issue that needs fixing and websites never stay the same.

If you do heavy customization of a WordPress install then you should charge the maintenance for it. If it means doing a diff to get the security fixes ing then your client should be ready for it. The web has moved faster than the desktop since I've been working here, and I'd hate to see that progress get stifled.

Just IMHO, but I understand the upgrade pain. I think folks here that can point out the WordPress Debian releases to show how problematic it can be.

Jess

[  :P  ]  jess planck  -  http://funroe.net