[wp-hackers] fixes for old versions

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 16:37:59 UTC 2010

>> saying "Sorry, that's just the way WP is" to clients
>
> I understand, but the more accurate response probably should be "Sorry, that
> is the way software is."

Regarding separation of security fixes and upgrades, I can see where
they're coming from. I still have MS Office 2003, but it's secured
with patches still. No doubt the non-tech people at the company see
things this way, and don't understand why upgrades are *immediately*
mandatory.

> Regardless, it is my experience that you can upgrade 99.9% of the time to
> X.X.X releases without any problems. These are typically security patches
> and bug fixes.

Definitely. I'm just looking for clarification on skipping at least
one X.X release. So far it seems to be indicated that this will be
possible from 2.9 on (though it's not clear if this is ongoing), and
that currently all 2.8 installations are insecure and need upgrading.

Generally, I thought it'd be good to have clarification of this issue
in one place in the dowloads section of wp.org.