[wp-hackers] Page templates in subdirectories

Dan Phiffer dan at phiffer.org
Fri Feb 19 14:49:58 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm writing a theme that includes custom page templates that I'd like to keep in subdirectories. There's some code that explicitly removes this ability (https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/includes/theme.php#L177) and I'm curious why it's there.

There don't seem to be any filters that I could use to circumvent this, so without modifying core I seem to be limited to the top-level theme directory. This seems unnecessarily restrictive, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks,
-Dan