[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In AndAroundTheCategory Side Of Things

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Feb 14 16:03:17 UTC 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2010, at 10:30 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>> How do you differentiate between 'Contact', 'Contact' and 'Contact'? That is, Post, Page, Taxonomy Term.
>
> With a MySQL query that doesn't presume it already knows what type 'Contact' is.
>
>> It all comes down to Performance, I can quite easily search through 10 items manualy and give you it within a decent ammount of time, A computer can do it faster.
>> What a computer cannot do, or at least, not shared hosts, is given thousands of objects, and you ask for 'hello-world' locate it quickly,
>
> Given the current architecture, you are correct. But that's an assumption.  Using a different assumption, i.e. that a single MySQL query does the lookup into the database and performance is not an issue.
>
> I can't say for sure that such a query could be backward compatible, but I think it could.  It could certainly be provided as an option so that it could be reverted for older plugins.

After thinking about this a bit, I'd like the through out the following strawman: why don't we consider deprecating wp_terms and using wp_posts with a post type of "taxonomy_term" instead?  That would address numerous concerns; streamline URL routing for taxonomy as well as give taxonomy terms descriptions and meta data.  Hmmm?

-Mike