[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In AndAroundTheCategory Side Of Things

Hikari lists at hikarinet.info
Sun Feb 14 08:52:38 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <wordpress at dd32.id.au>
Sent: Sunday, 14 February, 2010 1:30 AM

| WordPress parses the request using the permastructure and determines
| you're looking for a post in 2010 with the slug 'hello-world'
| WordPress parses the request and see's you're looking for '/contact', Its
| assumed thats a page.
|
| How do you differentiate between 'Contact', 'Contact' and 'Contact'? That
| is, Post, Page, Taxonomy Term.

That's another problem. We can have a post and a taxonomy with the same slug. I know 2 taxonomies can't have the same slug, but I
believe 2 posts can have it, so a page and a post can.

Since permalink data is spreaded out in more than 1 table and we can even have more than 1 resource with the same slug, we are
forced to have static strings to guarantee there will won't be ambiguities. And since permalink is parsed dinamically, we are forced
to use static strings to help guess what each permalink referes to and to narrow down the query.

The advantage is we are able to easily change permalink of an old site. The disadvantage is that we don't have total flexibility
over permalinks.

Now, what do we do more often, change the permalink of an old site or need to use a custom permalink on a post?

In my opinion it's not worthy sacrificing the later to have the first. Even more when a plugin could just update all posts to a new
structure and store old pernalinks for redirection.

Wordpress makes the most uncommon and easiest, easier, and makes the most common and hardest, harder.

Maybe 4.0 enhances it...

Hikari -  A Luz ilumina a PAZ
http://Hikari.ws
http://ConscienciaPlanetaria.com