[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And AroundTheCategory Side Of Things

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Feb 12 06:43:34 UTC 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 8:07 AM, scribu wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:
>> I've worked on URL routing system in the past that split URL paths on
>> slashes and then traversed a tree of rules to determine how to route. That
>> worked extremely well and could be layered on top of the variable assignment
>> that WordPress uses behind the scenes.
>
> Care to share? I'm fascinated by the idea.

So I dug up the code.  It's not written for WordPress's routing engine, but the code could be applied.

It's a REST library that would easily allow the definition of a URL interface for RESTful web services to front end any MySQL database or PHP-based framework/cms.  It's far from fully complete but it in early alpha and workable.  I can email you the library and discuss off-list, or I could discuss the concepts on-list.

It really is pretty simple, in concept at least.  But it could potentially improve URL routing quite a bit, especially the concern for having to match against too many rules.

-Mike