[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And AroundTheCategory Side Of Things

michael at mfields.org michael at mfields.org
Thu Feb 11 02:28:14 UTC 2010

I saw my name mentioned and thought I would chime in.
To reiterate what Mark is saying:

It would be great if WordPress could actually put the place holders for
taxonomies to use. If I were to set up a custom taxonomy on my site called
"fish" and under fish I had the following terms defined: "guppy", "trout"
and "shark" I could easily view a collection of posts that are associated
with each term via these permalinks:

/fish/guppy/
/fish/trout/
/fish/shark/

However, what if I wanted to link to a collection of posts that showed all
"fish"? You would think that you could be able to go to: /fish/ to
accomplish this, but instead you are greeted with a 404 page.

I realize that adding the taxonomy slug to the url is how WordPress deals
with rewrites changing /?fish=guppy to /fish/guppy/ which may require
another query var to execute. Perhaps /?taxonomy=fish?

I think that this would be a great addition to core especially when use of
custom taxonomies becomes more widespread.

Hope this helps,
-Mike