[wp-hackers] Plain text Password?!

Scott R. Godin scottg.wp-hackers at mhg2.com
Mon Feb 1 16:29:11 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 06:32 AM, Harish Narayanan wrote:
> On 01/02/2010 11:26, Tiago Relvao wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just received a mailing list memberships reminder from automattic.  It
>> seems automattic is saving my password in plain text! Why?
>>
>> I hope the mailman-owner would change this or, at the very least, stop
>> sending me my password by e-mail.
>
> It says so right on the page where you sign up for a GNU Mailman list:
>
> "You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild
> security, but should prevent others from messing with your subscription.
> Do not use a valuable password as it will occasionally be emailed back
> to you in cleartext."
>
> :)

This is but one of several reasons I've always (since finding out about
it) preferred to read mailing lists via usenet newsreader format rather
than via email box, as you simply connect up with gmane.org which
aggregates thousands of disparate lists under an easily searchable and
un/subscribable interface, where they can be read via the web, or in
say,
thunderbird|opera|mozilla|pan|knode|MT-Newswatcher|slrn|what-have-you in
nntp format. (which also to my discernment has superior threading
capability)

so I get this list (and several others) via
nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wordpress.devel and read it in
Thunderbird (currently, tho that may change - I'm considering evaluating
others if any annoyances show up)

this also has the advantage of keeping my email inbox clean and not
requiring me to set up message filters in order to keep it that way, for
lists.

Both thunderbird and opera handle newsreader-style lists quite cleanly.

--
(please respond to the list as opposed to my email box directly,
unless you are supplying private information you don't want public